Week 8: Tractors and stray dogs
Monday, Nov. 6, 2023
Que tal everyone! Another great week in El paso!
On Tuesday we went tracting and I felt prompted to go to this one street and we knocked on this man's door and he said he wasn't interested but to go to the trailer home at the side of the house. So we knock on the door and a woman answers who only speaks Spanish. So it was my time to shine. I explained who we were and talked about what we believe and about the book of Mormon. I bore my testimony and she said she was interested in learning more. So i have her a Spanish Bom and our card and we got her info. She seems prepared to hear our message so that Is so awesome.
We also felt prompted to talk to a man doing yard work in his yard. He talked to us for 10 minutes about all the crazy stuff going on in the world and how he's done stuff that he regrets. It sounds like he is open to learning more.
Something that's crazy is that on Wednesday, we were volunteering at the foodbank, and the mission president tells us to hop on zoom. And he announces that, in July, they are splitting the New Mexico Albuquerque mission and forming the El Paso mission. So that was some crazy news. Everyone is wondering who's going where. And what's also crazy is that they are splitting the Bolivia Cochabamba Mission too, so now there will be a north and south mission. So awesome. So either way, both my missions will be split. And they also are creating like 34 other missions around the world. The Lord is hastening his work!
A miracle is that a couple elders in our zone were at the gas station and this guy comes up to them and asks to be baptized. And he lives in one of our areas. So those elders and me and my comps have a lesson with him. We teach him the restoration and about the book of Mormon. He asked some great questions that we were able to answer and it all clicked for him. And he has a friend who listened too. We gave them each a book of Mormon. He is super prepared. We are very hopeful that he will keep progressing.
Saw some sick vehicles this week including a dope tractor. Also there are stray dogs everywhere especially near the border. So we have a taser for when we get chased.
We went to this bussin Mexican restaurant for one of my comp's one year mark. 3 dollar burritos. Incredible.
What's awesome is that i get to use Spanish so much here, even though I'm technically in an English area. And yesterday I taught 6 lessons in Spanish. So awesome.
We've gotten lots doors slammed in our faces but for the most part, even the people who aren't interested are still kind.
But we hear every reason under the sun for why people don't have a minute to hear our message. One of the funniest was "I'm putting my Halloween decorations away."
It's okay though, even if they aren't open now, we are planting seeds and they may be prepared in the future. We never know the impact we may have. Sometimes we are sowing, and other times we are reaping. But it's all part of the harvest and the lords work.
With that being said we grinded this week. We knocked so many doors and walked a ton. Planted a ton of seeds. A few companionship in our zone are having a completion to see who can get the most member present lessons. Whoever doesn't win has to eat a spoon of mayo. And if you know me, mayo is my kryptonite. So you already know imma be grinding to not only have to not do that, but because mpls are super important.
Please Pray for our amigos and Amigas so that they will keep progressing and come unto christ! The gospel changes lives. I am so grateful to be apart of it and in the gathering of Israel. I know with all of my heart it is true. I am so grateful to be a missionary.
I love you all and pray for you guys! Send me emails! Even if I don't reply I love reading them!
Love Élder Richards







