Week 34: Wow
Monday, May 6, 2024
Que tal yall!
Wow. What a week. Let's dive right in. (Stay tuned for a surprise)
Monday
Threw some dimes with Elder Evans and Elder Gonzalez on the field. Super lit. Also we played some sand volleyball and that was really fun. Elder Magnusson and I split a pizza and we had a great dinner with our homie Jonathan and Danya! They took us out to a really amazing Mexican steakhouse. It was so buss.
Tuesday
Worked hard. Went to the chiropractor.
Wednesday
Instead of going to the food bank we went to do some service for our homie Jonathan! They are moving houses still in the Soccoro ward boundaries. So we helped move a lot of stuff. Elder Evans and Elder Gonzalez went with us which was super fun. Jonathan has one of the new ion-5 electric cars and that thing can go 0-60 way quick. Super fun to drive in. Went to Sonic after.
Then I got to go on a lit exchange with my homie Elder Evans. Love that man. We had a super awesome miracle where we oym'd this woman who spoke Spanish. She went inside and grabbed some chairs so we could sit down outside. We taught her about the Book of Mormon and how christ came to the America's because he loves everyone. We testified of Christ's love for her and she started crying. She going through a lot right now. The spirit was very strong and she felt it very strongly. She happily accepted an Libro de Mormón.
Thursday
Went to the chiropractor again and grinded.
Friday
Had a really fire zone council. We are doing a purification fast as a zone. Basically, we are first doing a normal fast and during it praying a lot and thinking of the things we do, even the little things, that poke at or take away from the spirit. Then we narrow it down to 10 things to fast from for 40 days. Every morning, we go through everything on our list and literally covenant with God that we won't do these things today. We plead and ask for help and strength. Then, at the end of the night we pray again and go over our day. We are accountable to God. If there's anything on the list that we fell short on (which there will be) we repent. Then we repeat this process for 40 days. Over time, our natural man instincts start to change. We start to change our nature. We won't be as tempted or have a desire to do the things on the list. We are in turn purified. Becoming more like the Savior. We will be able to have the spirit with us even more, in a greater abundance with more power. We will be consecrated missionaries. Better instruments in the hands of the Lord to gather his sheep.
After district council, went to the chiropractor again. Then hit the grind and went finding and had some great lessons.
Then, as we were driving to a lesson, I got hit with some crazy news:
"From President Edwards: You have been approved to travel to your permanent assignments in Cochabamba Bolivia on May 16th, 2024."
Wow. I got my visa! Absolutely crazy. This came out of the middle of nowhere. I was not expecting this whatsoever. I was honestly in shock!
Low-key I was a little bummed because Elder Magnusson and I have a lot of friends that are really progressing in the gospel and I will be missing their baptisms. And I've also created some amazing friendships here with the ward, and with the dawgs I've met here. (You know who you are) And I honestly want to stay a little longer! Im going to miss El Paso, the people, and my best friends a lot. But I know that this is where the Lord needs me now! He has a work for me to do in Bolivia!
After that lesson we went to the ward fundraiser activity for the youth. It was super fun. We got free food and the action was a ton of fun to watch. Jonathan and danya pulled up and had a great time. Brother maser went crazy and bid like 150 to pie bishop in the face. It was super funny.
That night, I was like dang I'm gonna be leaving 2 days before Jonathans baptism. Elder zaragoza was in the apartment on an exchange and he was like, well he could also get baptized next week. We were like yeah that's true but kinda unsure. So we prayed about it. And we all felt very strongly like Jonathan would be ready to be baptized on May 11th. We called him, and he was all for it. I'm so happy that I will get To be at his Baptism!!
Saturday
Elder Magnusson and I went on a last minute Sierra Blanca trip with Brother Maser. Got to visit the members and say goodbye. Especially hard to say goodbye to the Allens. They are amazing people. I promised them I would be back to visit.
Brother Maser is so funny. I'm going to miss him a lot too.
We had an amazing lesson with Judith that night. The Spirit was so strong. I teared up when giving the First Vision. So powerful. We put her on date to be baptized on May 25th!
Sunday
A really powerful fast and testimony meeting. I love the Soccoro ward so much!
Had a tender experience visiting someone in the hospital with Brother Maser. The spirit was very strong.
Got to break our fast with an amazing dinner from the Masseys! So incredible. Love them and it's gonna be hard to say goodbye to them!
That night I had to say goodbye to the Frizzells because Brother Frizzell is gonna be gone for work until after I leave. A very hard goodbye. I love the Frizzells so much! They are such an awesome family. It's gonna be a joyous reunion when I come back to visit.
Spiritual sprinkle
Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths"
I think I've shared these verses before on a previous email but I felt to share it again. Before my mission, when I found out about the visa problems in Bolivia, I was low-key bummed knowing that I wouldn't go to Bolivia right away. I was leaning on my own understanding. I thought I knew what would be best for me. I wasn't trusting in the lord.
But over these last 7 months I have truly come to know that I absolutely needed to be serving here. In the Albuquerque New Mexico Mission, in the Soccoro ward of the El Paso Texas Stake. These 7 months have truly changed me. I have grown so much closer to my Savior. Weaknesses have been turned unto strengths. I have learned how the Spirit communicates to me. I have developed a love greater than I could ever imagine for the people, the amazing members of the Soccoro ward, and created some eternal friendships with some absolute dawgs (you know who you are)
The Lord is directing my paths. I've needed to serve in the NMAM, and now I'm needed in the BCM. I'm so grateful for my time here, and I'm so excited for everything the Lord has in store for me in Bolivia!
Trust in the Lord! He knows what's best for you! He will direct your paths!
Love,
Élder Richards




