Week 42: New pres y trainador

Monday, July 1, 2024

Que tal yall!


It's been an eventful week here in Frutillar! 

Elder Manzano's stomach started hurting really bad. So after a few days we went to the doctors to get tested. The results came back and he has salmonella. Very tough. But he's been taking medicine and doing a lot better. 

Last Thursday morning. Elder Manzano and I got a call from the APs and they asked us if we had 3 beds. We were like uhhh ya why.... and they said they'd call us back in an hour. We got a call back and they said head to the temple to pick up a new missionary! Elder Manzano was expecting it to be an Elder who had a reassignment and we would be presenting him. So we pull up and there was a big group of kids from America who were they for the HXP trip (I think it's what's it's called) they were there building a school and about to head home but got to go to the temple so I got to talk with them. It was weird talking in english to Americans again  who aren't missionaries haha. But it was super fun and one of them went to Highland with me and knows my brother so thats hype. Another one worked with one of my comps from the NMAM Elder Gowans before the mission. Super cool to make those connections through the gospel! 
Anyways then our homie pulls up. He's Elder Cipriano from Ecuador and he's straight outta the Peru MTC! We are training him! I got super hyped because I've always wanted to train at some point on my mission and here it is! He's a great guy. His first language is a language spoken by only a number of people in his zona on the coast of Ecuador. Super cool! 
We then went to the offices later in the day so he could have his interview with President. It was the day President and Hermana Quezada were leaving. So I got to say goodbye to them one last time and then be one of the first missionaries to meet President and Hermana Lopera!

The next day we had a mission conference with the Bolivia Cochabamba north mission. President and Hermana Lopera spoke and I could really feel their love for the savior and for us. President Lopera is super funny and very powerful. He pulled me aside in the hall and we talked about tennis for a bit! He and Hermana Lopera really emphasized how they want us come to be best friends with them. And I can already see that. So blessed to have them! 

We had a miracle this week. A guy pulls up in his car and stops us and asks where he could get a Book of Mormon because he wants to read one! He said he passes by the capilla (chapel) everyday on the way to work and it keeps sticking out to him. He wants to read the Book of Mormon! An even greater miracle is that he lives in our area! God  crossed our paths at that specific moment. What a miracle! 

Today we are going to play walley, and then go to the doctor again because I think I have amebas. 

Also shout out to my boy Elder Evans who finishes his mission tomorrow! Love you so much bro! 

Spiritual sprinkle:
This morning I woke up and all of the sudden a bunch of doubts just crept into my mind. Doubts about my testimony. Satan was sending all these feelings at me and I could just feel the darkness creep in. I turned to the the scriptures, conference talks and Preach My Gospel. These doubts were just overpowering me. I just felt so sad and dark inside. I had the impression to read my journal, and take out a couple quotes from a box of quotes from leaders of the church that I had gotten as a gift from my friend Jeanine Elsholz. 
As I read through my journals, i remembered all the spiritual experiences I have had on my mission, and also throughout my life. I remembered the happiness I have felt because of Christ. How strong I have felt the spirit when bearing my testimony of the Savior and his Atonement. The times I've cried because the spirit was so strong. I remembered and felt my Saviors love for me. Then, now, and forever. 
And these were the quotes I pulled out.

"The very moment you begin to seek your heavenly father, in that moment, the hope of his light will begin to awaken, enliven, and enable your soul. "

Dieter F Uchtdorf

"Jesus Christ is the light that dispels fear, provides assurance and direction and endagers enduring peace and joy."

David A Bednar

And these quotes just hit me. They were absolutely what I needed to read. Satan was trying to instill this fear. But Christ brings light and happiness. God was able to help me see what I know to be true. 

Satan doesn't want us to be happy! He wants us to doubt our faith. Doubt what we know to be true. Doubt what we have a testimony of and the peace and happiness we've felt through christ. 

"it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my firstborn in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility."

"Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself. "
28 And now, my sons, I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments; and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life, according to the will of his Holy Spirit;

2 Nephi 2: 11, 27,28

When Satan attacks, which he will, choose to turn to Christ. You will feel the light and joy that he brings. 

Love you all! 

Love, Elder Richards 


Popular posts from this blog

Week 99: A fire (and watery) week (Semana 99: una semana de fuego (y agua))