Week 76: Bautismo!!

Monday, March 3, 2025

Que tal yall! 

We had an absolutely fire week here in Vinto! 
First of all last P day Was awesome. We Played a ton of fútbol (like always) but I had 3 goals which is a new récord for me. (I'm trash at soccer) but I've actually improved a lot during my time in Bolivia which is awesome. 

Tuesday 
Got to go on an exchange with Elder Camacho from Colombia! Hes a funny guy who speaks english too as well as Portugués and a lot of Quechua. We had a fun time and had 2 lessons with Leonardo to keep preparing him for his baptism. One was at a member's house and we had a powerful lesson about temples! They made some of those good desserts things from the movie Princess and the Frog (I forgot what they are called but basically it's the stuff the rich white guy bought a ton of for his daughters dance or whatever it was) hopefully that made sense but they were bussin. And Leanardo was especially happy to be able to take a big bag home of leftovers) 

Wednesday 
Two more lessons with Leonardo and his baptismal interview. This kid is such a dawg. Ever since we found him 12 days ago we've met every single day and he's come to church both Sundays while pulling up earlier than half of the members who have a car. He's bringing all of his friends and family to hear the gospel and sharing ctr rings with his buddies. We had a lesson in the capilla after his baptismal interview with some members and watched the video of Christ's baptism. 

Thursday 
Had to wake up early to head to the city for Elder Cadillos traimates. A few of the elderes I know from mission South were there who are also training. Bought a BUSSING (that automatically went to all caps so ill keep it haha) tucumana and then headed home and went to District council.
On  the way up, my DL sends us a message saying he was going to be late and asked if I could conduct until he came. Well we passed by the informes and he was still not there so I was like well i'll just start training on something. The spirit helped me out big time and It was going pretty good. Then President and Hermana Lopera pull up and I start to get a little nervous haha because they sat in for our district council but it went well. It's been a few months since I've trained in a district council or zone council and i forgot how much I love it! 
President gave a gas training for our zone council on finding and Hermana Lopera whipped up some gas sándwiches. 
We then went home and coordinated everything for Leonardo's baptism! 
We walked with Leonardo and his family from their house to the Church and Leonardo pulled up in style with a blue Nike jumpsuit and air force ones. Then after waiting for the hora boliviana to pass, we had a beautiful program and our friend Leonardo was baptized by Jhordy, a recent convert who helped us teach Leonardo the gospel. It was a great day and Elder Cadillo confirmed him a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and conferred upon him the gift of the Holy Ghost. 
Although the water was freezing cold (the water heater was broken) Leonardo told us the next day that he felt the love of God very strongly and loved his baptism. 
He has his eyes set on the temple and his mission and he is very excited to be a missionary. 
Friday 
We had our first noche de deportes today and it went very well! A lot of people pulled up including some amigos and Leonardo!
That night we got big bite wings to celebrate the baptism and they were so good as always! 

Saturday 
Today was pretty lit. We got to go to los chicarones originales in Sacaba! We can't eat pig unless we are with President and Hermana Lopera and we have their permission. The whole zone was there because we won a competition for Facebook in the mission. It was extremely bussing. I passed by that place every day in Esmeralda and always wanted to try it because it smells so good so it was a big blessing for sure! 

Sunday 
Had a miracle where a family came to church that we didn't know. We didn't know they were knew until their neighbor who is a member told us that her neighbors were at church and they aren't members. We are going to pass by on Thursday to talk to them! 

Sunday afternoon through Wednesday night we are locked inside the house because of carnival. It's gonna be a long three days. But we have  Elder Camacho and Elder Alvarado with us and so its been fun playing card games. Also today is all day p day which is nice. 

Spiritual sprinkle 

I was reading today in Jacob 5 about the allegory of the olive tree. And I was really pondering the true message behind Zenos's words. And as I was reading, a thought came into my mind from my last zone conference in El Paso. President Edwards talked about bark beetles. The litter critters that eat the tree and slowly but surely eat the bark. Until the tree has decayed. 
President Edwards talked about the spiritual bark beetles in our lives. The secret devices of the adversary that we sometimes don't notice or give attention to that can be fatally damaging spiritually If we don't stop them. 
He talked about getting rid of our spiritual bark beetles to be able to keep our spiritual trees healthy and strong. 
I compared this to the allegory of the olive tree and thought about how the lord of the vineyard constantly asked "what more could I have done more for my vineyard." I thought about what more can I do for my testimony and my spiritual foundation. 
What also stuck out to me is how hard the Lord of the vineyard and his servant worked to be able to produce good fruit, with good branches and good roots. 
I feel like sometimes in our lives, we want to see the fruits without doing the hard work of taking care of the branches and nourishing the branches. For example, we all want to feel the spirit in greater abundance, but what are the things that we are lacking to be able to see those fruits? What branches do we need to cut off, what roots do we need to nourish? What bark beetles do we need to exterminate? 

In this same zone conference, a conference talk from October 2015 was talked about. It's called "What lack I yet?"
I read it and there is an invitation that I followed, that I would like to invite all of you to follow as well. 
Here's the link of the talk. My invitation to all of you is to read this talk, follow the invitation, and really think about your "spiritual tree." What can you do better for your vineyard? What bark beetles do you Need to eliminate? 
I testify that as we better take care of our spiritual trees, we will have more joy. Joy that comes though Christ and his gospel. 
Eliminate the spiritual bark beetles in your life and you will be able to feel closer to Christ, and feel of the love he is so generously offering you. 
In the name of Jesus Christ, 
Amen 

Love, Elder Richards 






Popular posts from this blog

Week 99: A fire (and watery) week (Semana 99: una semana de fuego (y agua))